Bridging Theory and Practice
The Sign Research Foundation is committed to promoting a collaborative community between academics, community managers, landscape architects, and urban planners. We are pleased to offer a scholarship to 50 diverse practitioners selected to attend the SRF Conference co-located with ISA Sign Expo. The program will take place in April 2-4, 2020 at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, FL. See what previous Scholars had to say about their experience.
This unique program allows for high-level collaboration between top tier academics and diverse practitioners with an interest in the regulation, conspicuity, design, placement, and effectiveness of sign systems and visual communication elements in an urban environment.
Criteria for Application
The Sign Research Foundation wants to provide an opportunity for emerging professionals to experience the breadth of inspirational, experiential and practical education in one event. Therefore, we give preference to graduate students or those applicants who have fewer than seven (7) years of practical experience in their field. The scholarship is open to urban planners, landscape architects, code officials, community developers, graduate students, and any other practitioners who have interest or responsibility in writing, regulating, interpreting, or enforcing sign ordinances.
All accepted participants must commit to:
- Being present for the full program (Thursday, April 2 – Saturday, April 4)
- Actively engaging and participating at round table exercises and sponsored events.
- Completing an evaluation about your experience after the event.
Deadline for application: January 15, 2020
Once accepted into the program, participants will receive:
- Full day Planning for Sign Code Success™ workshop (CM credits)
- Heavily discounted entry to any SRF or ISA education session
- Two (2) nights of hotel stay
- Free entry to the ISA Sign Expo trade show floor
- $250 stipend towards travel costs upon completion of the full program.
- Guided tours of the trade show floor focusing on innovative materials and technology.
- Small group work on your community's sign code with a network of experts and peers.
- First look at the newest Sign Research Foundation white papers and academic research.
- Earn 4-8 CM credits, including legal
See what previous Scholars had to say:
“The SRF Scholars Program was such a gift. I would have never met the people that I connected with had it not been for this program. I really felt like I was getting a ‘backstage pass' to all there is to know within the signage industry.”
“To me, NSREC crystalized the entire ISA experience: learning about current and future advancements in signage, then engaging with other professionals to convert that knowledge into meaningful ideas on the spot. It was a creative brain workout!”
“This is one of the best conferences I have attended. I enjoyed networking with people from a variety of backgrounds. I especially enjoyed the roundtable discussion we had with our fellow peers to discuss the future of signage. Lastly, as a planner, speaking directly with sign code experts was an excellent experience that I will use to update our sign code.”
“The mixers/socials gave us the opportunity to make new professional connections and the scheduling of events was thoughtful. I really enjoyed each of the speakers and found the content and presentations to be thought provoking- especially the impact of technology ( to include programs and immersion of disruptive technologies).”