Request for Proposal
The Sign Research Foundation (SRF) Research Committee performs an annual analysis of the most pressing sign research topics for cities and planners. Occasionally there is a need to do a short-term research project in response to an urgent issue. Please check this page often to view and apply for these research grants.
Process & Timeline
The SRF research committee reviews all new proposals. Once the project is granted, a timeline will be established to ensure all projects are completed within 18 months from the start date. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
We encourage all academics, graduate students, and subject matter experts to propose their own research ideas. All proposals must fit within at least but not limited to one Method of Research and one Focus Area.
Methods of Research
- Fundamental Research – Research within a University (disciplinary and interdisciplinary)
- Collaborative Research – University + External Organizations: Development of new methods, innovation, and user experience.
- Research in Practice – Research by Public Agencies, Non-profits, Corporations, and Consultants: Strategies, methods, models and case studies that apply to the practice of sign design, regulation, placement, and perception.
- Consumer Perceptions of Signage
- Legal Issues in Signage
- Sign Design Guidelines & Best Practices
- Sign Materials & Technologies
- Sign Placement & Legibility
- Sign Regulation – Guidelines & Best Practices
- Signage ROI or Economic Value
- Technical Standards – Illuminance, Energy Efficiency, Structural
- Wayfinding Best Practices & Case Studies